April 30th sees Michelham Priory opening a new interactive medieval gallery, located within the imposing 14th century gatehouse building through which all visitors must pass. They cross the moat and enter the seven acre island that contains the historic house and gardens. This latest contribution to the museum is part of an on-going process of improvements to the Priory, and was developed jointly with the East Sussex Archaeology and Museums Partnership and with funding from the Friends of Michelham Priory and support from the Heritage Lottery Fund.
“We have undertaken a huge amount of work over the last two years at Michelham. Improvements have been made to the café and barn, the galleries within the house and a new playground installed. This year, as well as the new medieval gallery,
work is continuing outside on the moat and grounds, and the Dovecote shop is being refurbished.” said Jo Grocott, Michelham Priory's Marketing Officer.
The activities within the gatehouse will reflect aspects of medieval life, helping to tell the story of the Priory which was built in 1229 and remained as a religious house until the dissolution of the monasteries under Henry VIII.
The gallery will be open in time for the Ancient Crafts Festival, being held on the 5th and 6th of May. “This new gallery will be a great addition to our Ancient Crafts Festival and to the museum as a whole, giving visitors the opportunity to get hands-on while learning about some of the techniques and skills used in building and crafts from medieval times.
The fact this it is housed within a building dating from the period and all the furniture has been made using medieval processes, just adds to the authenticity and helps to tell the story of Michelham Priory.”
Published 19th April 2013
All news stories